From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ryzen and c-state poweroffs?
Date: Fri, 03 May 2019 16:55:04
1 On 2019.05.03 12:28, Spackman, Chris wrote:
2 >
3 > All,
4 >
5 > I set up a new AMD computer (moved disk from previous Intel
6 > computer). After some struggles with bios settings, I got it to boot
7 > properly and updated for the new hardware. All seemed fine, but then
8 > it
9 > started "crashing" when left alone. From Googling, it seems that it
10 > has
11 > something to do with the bios powering down drives that aren't in use,
12 > but then not being able to power them back up.
13 >
14 > When it "crashes" (goes into a coma?), I have to use the power button
16 > turn it off and then back on. As it starts up, the root partition is
17 > clean, but home has to be recovered - which seems to indicate that it
18 > is
19 > indeed an issue with the mobo/bios turning off the root drive.
20 >
21 > I found a Linux site that suggested this line in dmesg as a symptom:
22 >
23 > > [Firmware Bug]: ACPI MWAIT C-state 0x0 not supported by HW (0x0)
24 >
25 > The solution was to turn of C-states in the bios. I forget the exact
26 > wording right now, but I could not find it in my bios. I tried to
27 > turn off
28 > everything that seemed related to power saving, but several did not
29 > have
30 > an "off" option. So, I am still getting the error.
31 >
32 > For now, I set up a cron job to move a file from /root to /tmp every
33 > 15
34 > minutes. This seems to work, but it is obviously not a long term
35 > solution.
36 >
37 > I checked for a bios update, but there was not one available.
38 >
39 > Has anyone else experienced this? Is there maybe a /sys/ or /proc/
40 > file
41 > I can tweak to avoid bios powering things off?
42 >
43 > Thanks.
44 It's only a guess, but I'd suggest looking through the kernel docs to
45 see if there is any boot command line parameter that might do this.
46
47 Jack