From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Install
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 20:04:57
1 On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 3:44 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Actually, he is correct.
5 >> Actually, he isn't, which is hard to demonstrate since everybody is top-posting.
6 >
7 > Actually he is and your reply supports that point.
8
9 Actually, he isn't. I'd suggest reading chapter 1 of my email "at
10 least three or four times" to find the part where I pointed out his
11 mistake.
14 > Now that he knows he missed a section, maybe he can chroot into it, do
15 > that section and finish the install. That is unless his mobo blows out. :/
18 Certainly, but not if somebody doesn't take the time to point that out
19 and explain it, vs just telling him to read only "chapter 1" of the
20 handbook a few more times.
21
22 I do agree that he is missing a few steps but I'll go ahead and admit
23 that I occasionally miss a step on a Gentoo install because the
24 handbook is fairly verbose and it is easy to skip over the wrong part.
25 It would actually make sense to have a checklist to go along with it
26 so that it is harder to skip the wrong section.
27
28 Bottom line though is that if you aren't going to tailor your email to
29 the questions being asked it isn't terribly helpful.
32 Rich