From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Install
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 20:35:41
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 3:44 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> Actually, he is correct.
6 >>> Actually, he isn't, which is hard to demonstrate since everybody is top-posting.
7 >> Actually he is and your reply supports that point.
8 > Actually, he isn't. I'd suggest reading chapter 1 of my email "at
9 > least three or four times" to find the part where I pointed out his
10 > mistake.
13 OK. You're saying he was following the install guide even tho he missed
14 a WHOLE section? Right? Come on Rich. You know better than that. How
15 can anyone follow something they missed? As I just posted to the OP,
16 maybe Neil knew he missed something but wasn't sure what and that is the
17 reason he told him to go back and look at the docs. When I read it,
18 it's what popped into my head, he missed something. If Neil hadn't
19 posted it, I may have myself. If the docs were wrong on something,
20 someone would have posted that a long time ago. It's not like Gentoo
21 has some 5th rate docs. Heck, I'd put them at the #1 spot every day of
22 the week and twice on Sunday. Key thing is, follow them as close as
23 possible unless your hardware requires something different.
26 >> Now that he knows he missed a section, maybe he can chroot into it, do
27 >> that section and finish the install. That is unless his mobo blows out. :/
28 >>
29 > Certainly, but not if somebody doesn't take the time to point that out
30 > and explain it, vs just telling him to read only "chapter 1" of the
31 > handbook a few more times.
32 >
33 > I do agree that he is missing a few steps but I'll go ahead and admit
34 > that I occasionally miss a step on a Gentoo install because the
35 > handbook is fairly verbose and it is easy to skip over the wrong part.
36 > It would actually make sense to have a checklist to go along with it
37 > so that it is harder to skip the wrong section.
38 >
39 > Bottom line though is that if you aren't going to tailor your email to
40 > the questions being asked it isn't terribly helpful.
43 It would be helpful. If a section is missed, go back and recheck what
44 was done and what wasn't. This is where bash history comes in handy.
45 You know what commands were done and in what order at that. Of course,
46 one could print the thing and check it off on the pages. Yikes, hard
47 copies. o_O
48
49 Since you are here, any chance we could get a all-in-one page for this?
50 That is what I prefer to use myself. Start at the top and work your way
51 down. If you have to click on links and such to weave around to
52 different sections, that opens up the opportunity to miss a section. I
53 guess a check list would help but depending on hardware, some steps may
54 not be needed or some steps may need to be added. For me at least, a
55 one page guide would be what I would want. It's what I used the first
56 time I installed and I think the last time as well. If I were going to
57 reinstall tomorrow, I'd be looking awful hard for a one page guide.
58
59 Dale
60