From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Very small email sender thingy
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 11:01:47
1 Hi all,
2 First up, I'm not an email admin or anything as snazzy so I'm not fully
3 buzzword compliant.
4
5 What I'm after is a tiny app that will, when called from the prompt,
6 send an email to any address. I have several apps that take a long time
7 to run, think Finite Elemental Analysis and Computational Fluid
8 Dynamics, and I want something that can send me an email upon success or
9 failure. I can wrap everything up in a script, it's the actual email
10 sending that I'm looking for advice on.
11
12 Off the top of my head I'm looking for something that is small, think
13 the sort of thing that someone would write in Python to show off to
14 their work colleagues and is 79 lines in size. This is going to be
15 running on a Gentoo machine so Python is there and if I have to add
16 another small Python package that's fine.
17
18 In turn the recipient address, the mail server, which is my ISP's, etc
19 along with a text file for the message can be either command line
20 variables or in a simple config file which is written on the fly by the
21 original script that ran everything.
22
23 Does anyone know of such a little beasty or is this the reason I've
24 been looking for to learn Python?
25
26 Thoughts greatly appreciated,
27