From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Serial modem and permissions problem.
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 16:12:30
1 Mark Kirkwood wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
5 >> Here is my question. What are the permissions supposed to be? I have
6 >> it set to root:users right now. It was set to root:uucp which was not
7 >> working. If someone has a modem and uses dial-up, can you reply with
8 >> the output of ls -al /dev/ttyS* if you would. If anybody else knows the
9 >> answer, that would be cool too.
12 > This machine *has* been used for dial-up (but is connected to DSL
13 > router now)
14 >
15 > $ ls -al /dev/ttyS*
16 > crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 64 Mar 3 19:42 /dev/ttyS0
17 > crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 65 Mar 3 19:42 /dev/ttyS1
18 > crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 66 Mar 3 19:42 /dev/ttyS2
19 > crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 67 Mar 3 19:42 /dev/ttyS3
22 >> Oh, It had been a couple months since I rebooted, anybody know when this
23 >> happened? How do you get udev to update after changing the rules, other
24 >> than rebooting that is. :/
27 > No sure on that (maybe look at udevcontrol)... Here's the relevant bit
28 > of my 50-udev.rules FWIW (which is default I think):
29 >
30 > $ grep ttyS /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules
31 > KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="tts/%n", GROUP="tty"
32
33 Thanks for the info. That seems to work for the UPS. I'll check on the
34 modem in a bit. I'm not sure when or what changed the group though.
35
36 I looked at the udevcontrol man page, I didn't see anything in there
37 about restarting or reloading the rules. Surely they have a way to do
38 that. I can't unplug and plug back up the serial port.
39
40 Anybody else know how to "reset" udev??
41
42 Thanks again.
43
44 Dale