From: Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] root can't login on console, but can ssh...
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:58:31
1 I've posted this about two months ago without any replies. I've been
2 googling and trying things, but still can't get this to work like it used
3 to.
4
5 I simply want root to be able to login from console (tty[1-6]) or ssh
6 (pts/[0-9]) without a password. Currently ssh does work fine. It's only the
7 physical console that doesn't.
8
9 This WAS working perfectly, then PAM or some other ebuild "broke it" on me.
10
11 Just for sanity, I even assigned root a password, I now get a "Password"
12 prompt, but it STILL can't login. (positive I'm typing it right) It says
13 "Login incorrect".
14
15 -----Original Message-----
16 From: Daevid Vincent [mailto:daevid@××××××.com]
17 Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 3:47 PM
18 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
19 Subject: [gentoo-user] root can't login on console, but can ssh...
20
21 I have a LAMP development VMWare setup so that I can login as root sans
22 password.
23
24 This was working fine until something recently changed that.
25 It doesn't even prompt for the password, it just timesout after x
26 seconds.
27
28 Oddly I can ssh in as root (without the password as expected).
29
30 I have my "daevid" account without password and that logs in fine on the
31 console and ssh.
32
33 I can circumvent this behaviour by logging in as 'daevid', then 'sudo su
34 -' (which doesn't prompt for pw either), but I'd like it to work the way
35 it did.
36
37 Perhaps it was some PAM thing? Or login.defs? Or in pam.d/ ?
38
39 LAMP pam.d # cat login
40 #%PAM-1.0
41
42 auth required pam_securetty.so
43 auth required pam_tally.so file=/var/log/faillog onerr=succeed
44 no_magic_root
45 auth required pam_shells.so
46 auth required pam_nologin.so
47 auth include system-auth
48
49 account required pam_access.so
50 account include system-auth
51 account required pam_tally.so deny=0 file=/var/log/faillog
52 onerr=succeed no_magic_root
53
54 password include system-auth
55
56 session required pam_env.so
57 session optional pam_lastlog.so
58 session optional pam_motd.so motd=/etc/motd
59 session optional pam_mail.so
60
61 # If you want to enable pam_console, uncomment the following line
62 # and read carefully README.pam_console in /usr/share/doc/pam*
63 #session optional pam_console.so
64
65 session include system-auth
68 LAMP ~ # cat /etc/securetty
69 # /etc/securetty: list of terminals on which root is allowed to login.
70 # See securetty(5) and login(1).
71 console
72 pts/0
73 pts/1