From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] root can't login on console, but can ssh...
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 17:20:40
1 On 9/13/07, Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I've posted this about two months ago without any replies. I've been
4 > googling and trying things, but still can't get this to work like it used
5 > to.
6 >
7 > I simply want root to be able to login from console (tty[1-6]) or ssh
8 > (pts/[0-9]) without a password. Currently ssh does work fine. It's only
9 > the
10 > physical console that doesn't.
11 >
12 > This WAS working perfectly, then PAM or some other ebuild "broke it" on
13 > me.
14 >
15 > Just for sanity, I even assigned root a password, I now get a "Password"
16 > prompt, but it STILL can't login. (positive I'm typing it right) It says
17 > "Login incorrect".
18 >
19 > -----Original Message-----
20 > From: Daevid Vincent [mailto:daevid@××××××.com]
21 > Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 3:47 PM
22 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
23 > Subject: [gentoo-user] root can't login on console, but can ssh...
24 >
25 > I have a LAMP development VMWare setup so that I can login as root sans
26 > password.
27 >
28 > This was working fine until something recently changed that.
29 > It doesn't even prompt for the password, it just timesout after x
30 > seconds.
31 >
32 > Oddly I can ssh in as root (without the password as expected).
33 >
34 > I have my "daevid" account without password and that logs in fine on the
35 > console and ssh.
36 >
37 > I can circumvent this behaviour by logging in as 'daevid', then 'sudo su
38 > -' (which doesn't prompt for pw either), but I'd like it to work the way
39 > it did.
40 >
41 > Perhaps it was some PAM thing? Or login.defs? Or in pam.d/ ?
42 >
43 > LAMP pam.d # cat login
44 > #%PAM-1.0
45 >
46 > auth required pam_securetty.so
47 > auth required pam_tally.so file=/var/log/faillog onerr=succeed
48 > no_magic_root
49 > auth required pam_shells.so
50 > auth required pam_nologin.so
51 > auth include system-auth
52 >
53 > account required pam_access.so
54 > account include system-auth
55 > account required pam_tally.so deny=0 file=/var/log/faillog
56 > onerr=succeed no_magic_root
57 >
58 > password include system-auth
59 >
60 > session required pam_env.so
61 > session optional pam_lastlog.so
62 > session optional pam_motd.so motd=/etc/motd
63 > session optional pam_mail.so
64 >
65 > # If you want to enable pam_console, uncomment the following line
66 > # and read carefully README.pam_console in /usr/share/doc/pam*
67 > #session optional pam_console.so
68 >
69 > session include system-auth
72 > LAMP ~ # cat /etc/securetty
73 > # /etc/securetty: list of terminals on which root is allowed to login.
74 > # See securetty(5) and login(1).
75 > console
76 > pts/0
77 > pts/1
78 > pts/2
79 > pts/3
80 > pts/4
81 > pts/5
82 > pts/6
83 > pts/7
84 > pts/8
85 > vc/0
86 > vc/1
87 > vc/2
88 > vc/3
89 > vc/4
90 > vc/5
91 > vc/6
92 > vc/7
93 > vc/8
94 > vc/9
95 > vc/10
96 > vc/11
97 > vc/12
98 > tty0
99 > tty1
100 > tty2
101 > tty3
102 > tty4
103 > tty5
104 > tty6
105 > tty7
106 > tty8
107 > tty9
108 > tty10
109 > tty11
110 > tty12
111 > tts/0
112 > ttyS0
115 > ÐÆ5ÏÐ
118 > --
119 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
122 > --
123 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
126 Check out /etc/securetty (man securetty). There should be at least one
127 uncommented entry listing 'tty1' if you want to be able to log in with just
128 the first virtual terminal, or if you want root to be allowed on all virtual
129 terminals, add tty1 through tty12.
132 - Mark Shields