From: Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: 'Mark Shields' <laebshade@×××××.com>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] root can't login on console, but can ssh...
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 23:07:13
1 _____
2
3 From: Mark Shields [mailto:laebshade@×××××.com]
4 Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 10:07 AM
5 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] root can't login on console, but can ssh...
9 On 9/13/07, Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com> wrote:
12 I've posted this about two months ago without any replies. I've been
13 googling and trying things, but still can't get this to work like it used
14 to.
15
16 I simply want root to be able to login from console (tty[1-6]) or ssh
17 (pts/[0-9]) without a password. Currently ssh does work fine. It's only the
18 physical console that doesn't.
19
20 This WAS working perfectly, then PAM or some other ebuild "broke it" on me.
21
22 Just for sanity, I even assigned root a password, I now get a "Password"
23 prompt, but it STILL can't login. (positive I'm typing it right) It says
24 "Login incorrect".
25
26 -----Original Message-----
27 From: Daevid Vincent [mailto:daevid@××××××.com]
28 Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 3:47 PM
29 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
30 Subject: [gentoo-user] root can't login on console, but can ssh...
31
32 I have a LAMP development VMWare setup so that I can login as root sans
33 password.
34
35 This was working fine until something recently changed that.
36 It doesn't even prompt for the password, it just timesout after x
37 seconds.
38
39 Oddly I can ssh in as root (without the password as expected).
40
41 I have my "daevid" account without password and that logs in fine on the
42 console and ssh.
43
44 I can circumvent this behaviour by logging in as 'daevid', then 'sudo su
45 -' (which doesn't prompt for pw either), but I'd like it to work the way
46 it did.
47
48 Perhaps it was some PAM thing? Or login.defs? Or in pam.d/ ?
49
50 LAMP pam.d # cat login
51 #%PAM-1.0
52
53 auth required pam_securetty.so
54 auth required pam_tally.so file=/var/log/faillog onerr=succeed
55 no_magic_root
56 auth required pam_shells.so
57 auth required pam_nologin.so
58 auth include system-auth
59
60 account required pam_access.so
61 account include system-auth
62 account required pam_tally.so deny=0 file=/var/log/faillog
63 onerr=succeed no_magic_root
64
65 password include system-auth
66
67 session required pam_env.so
68 session optional pam_lastlog.so
69 session optional pam_motd.so motd=/etc/motd
70 session optional pam_mail.so
71
72 # If you want to enable pam_console, uncomment the following line
73 # and read carefully README.pam_console in /usr/share/doc/pam*
74 #session optional pam_console.so
75
76 session include system-auth
77
78 LAMP ~ # cat /etc/securetty
79 # /etc/securetty: list of terminals on which root is allowed to login.
80 # See securetty(5) and login(1).
81 console
82 pts/0
83 pts/1
84 pts/2
85 pts/3
86 pts/4
87 pts/5
88 pts/6
89 pts/7
90 pts/8
91 vc/0
92 vc/1
93 vc/2
94 vc/3
95 vc/4
96 vc/5
97 vc/6
98 vc/7
99 vc/8
100 vc/9
101 vc/10
102 vc/11
103 vc/12
104 tty0
105 tty1
106 tty2
107 tty3
108 tty4
109 tty5
110 tty6
111 tty7
112 tty8
113 tty9
114 tty10
115 tty11
116 tty12
117 tts/0
118 ttyS0
122 Check out /etc/securetty (man securetty). There should be at least one
123 uncommented entry listing 'tty1' if you want to be able to log in with just
124 the first virtual terminal, or if you want root to be allowed on all virtual
125 terminals, add tty1 through tty12.
126
127 - Mark Shields
128
129 Thanks Mark for the reply, however, don't I already have those set in
130 /etc/securetty (as shown above)??