From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] root can't login on console, but can ssh...
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 08:06:54
1 On Friday 14 September 2007, Daevid Vincent wrote:
2 > _____
3 >
4 > From: Mark Shields [mailto:laebshade@×××××.com]
5 > Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 10:07 AM
6 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] root can't login on console, but can ssh...
10 > On 9/13/07, Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com> wrote:
13 > I've posted this about two months ago without any replies. I've been
14 > googling and trying things, but still can't get this to work like it used
15 > to.
16 >
17 > I simply want root to be able to login from console (tty[1-6]) or ssh
18 > (pts/[0-9]) without a password. Currently ssh does work fine. It's only the
19 > physical console that doesn't.
20 [snip...]
21 >
22 > Check out /etc/securetty (man securetty). There should be at least one
23 > uncommented entry listing 'tty1' if you want to be able to log in with just
24 > the first virtual terminal, or if you want root to be allowed on all
25 > virtual terminals, add tty1 through tty12.
26
27 > Thanks Mark for the reply, however, don't I already have those set in
28 > /etc/securetty (as shown above)??
29
30 I am not sure if pam will allow you to do what you want (perhaps it is a
31 matter of setting it up accordingly, but haven't looked into it). Have you
32 tried removing pam to see if login without passwds can happen?
33 --
34 Regards,
35 Mick