From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleanify a Firefox Profile - how?
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 03:00:16
1 On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 03:04:59AM +0100, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote
2
3 > ...and what mozilla says is all what they want me to know. Or with
4 > other words: Are these really all places, where user tracking and
5 > such is stored? Flash cookies and Supercookies are also there?
6
7 Mozilla can only tell you what they do. "Flash cookies" are stored by
8 Adobe Flash in 2 subdirectories in your home directory. I.e. .adobe and
9 .macromedia (Note the leading dot). In the past, I used to...
10
11 rm -rf ~/.adobe ~/.macromedia
12 touch ~/.adobe
13 touch ~/.macromedia
14
15 This would create zero-byte files, and Flash could not create
16 subdirectories with the same name. I ran into 1 or 2 sites that refused
17 to work if I did this. I don't have Flash on my main desktop anymore,
18 so no more worry about it.
19
20 "Supercookies" are additional data added to your HTTP headers by your
21 ISP after it leaves your computer, and Firefox can't do anything about it.
22 https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/11/verizon-x-uidh
25 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications