From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update [ probably RESOLVED ]
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 17:08:54
1 On February 11, 2021 7:22:53 AM PST, "Matt Connell (Gmail)" <matthewdconnell@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >On Thu, 2021-02-11 at 11:17 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
3 >> When you do a sync, it pulls down the latest version of kernel
4 >source. I
5 >> don't do it all the time, but you really ought to upgrade to 5.4.92.
6 >
7 >To expound on this, the 4.19 kernel IS still supported, both by
8 >upstream and gentoo sources. If n952162 (OP) desires, they can stick
9 >with this major version and use 4.19.175, which is the latest release
10 >of that version. You are correct though; an upgrade is recommended,
11 >since there are always security patches going into the trunk.
12 >
13 >> What I do (can't remember exactly because my live system hasn't been
14 >> upgraded since forever :-) is copy .config from the old kernel to the
15 >> new, and then is it "make oldconfig"? Either way, it configures the
16 >new
17 >> kernel using the old config file so all my local-specific stuff is
18 >kept.
19 >
20 >This is what I do as well. If you don't want to be prompted for new
21 >symbols, instead accepting the defaults, you can use "make
22 >olddefconfig" instead.
23 >
24 >> (I *THINK* your old config will still be left lying around - as a
25 >> locally modified file it shouldn't be cleaned up ...)
26 >
27 There is also an option to embed the config in the kernel and export it as /proc/config.gz
28
29 This keeps one from losing it or getting mixed up about what is actually running.
30
31 LMP