From: "Matt Connell (Gmail)" <matthewdconnell@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update [ probably RESOLVED ]
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 15:23:04
1 On Thu, 2021-02-11 at 11:17 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
2 > When you do a sync, it pulls down the latest version of kernel source. I
3 > don't do it all the time, but you really ought to upgrade to 5.4.92.
4
5 To expound on this, the 4.19 kernel IS still supported, both by
6 upstream and gentoo sources. If n952162 (OP) desires, they can stick
7 with this major version and use 4.19.175, which is the latest release
8 of that version. You are correct though; an upgrade is recommended,
9 since there are always security patches going into the trunk.
10
11 > What I do (can't remember exactly because my live system hasn't been
12 > upgraded since forever :-) is copy .config from the old kernel to the
13 > new, and then is it "make oldconfig"? Either way, it configures the new
14 > kernel using the old config file so all my local-specific stuff is kept.
15
16 This is what I do as well. If you don't want to be prompted for new
17 symbols, instead accepting the defaults, you can use "make
18 olddefconfig" instead.
19
20 > (I *THINK* your old config will still be left lying around - as a
21 > locally modified file it shouldn't be cleaned up ...)
22
23 Correct. Depcleaning gentoo-sources will leave any user-generated
24 files inside the src directory, including the .config file.
25 Unfortunately it also leaves behind the build artifacts there, so its
26 good to clean up /usr/src/ from time to time.