From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: A quick test of su
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 00:42:44
1 On 01/18/2010 02:14 PM, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
2 > 2010/1/18 walt<w41ter@×××××.com>:
3 >> Can I trouble you folks to do this ten-second test and report your
4 >> results?
5 >>
6 >> As an ordinary user, type 'su' at a bash prompt. Now, where you
7 >> would normally type your root password, just type Ctrl-d instead.
8 >>
9 >> What do you see? (I'm ruling out evil spirits here, so please bear
10 >> with me ;)
11 >
12 > su: Authentication information cannot be recovered
13 >
14 >> Thanks for your help.
15 >
16 > What did I win? :-)
17
18 Congratulations, you just won my evil spirits. Please come pick them
19 up ASAP, as they're getting hungry.
20
21 The evil spirits in my x86 and ~amd64 machines seem to be outvoted by
22 4:1 (so far).
23
24 Here is what I see on both machines:
25
26 $su
27 Password: <===== I type Ctrl-d here
28 Segmentation fault
29
30 I've traced this problem to the pam_ssh package, which is supposed
31 to return a charstring containing the typed password, but it instead
32 returns a null pointer when I type Ctrl-d. Calamity ensues.
33
34 I've filed a gentoo bug report that has generated only puzzlement so
35 far, and I guess your responses explain why. I have evil spirits in
36 my two machines, and you don't.