From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Preventing new versions of gentoo-sources…
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 19:18:25
1 Kai Peter wrote:
2 > On 2019-06-20 20:10, Dale wrote:
3 >> Kai Peter wrote:
4 >>>>
5 >>>> The bad thing about this, sometimes I have to use exclude
6 >>>> gentoo-sources
7 >>>> from things such as --depclean.  It's annoying but it's the only way I
8 >>>> could come up with to do this.
9 >>>>
10 >>> You can do an 'emerge --noreplace' - one time.
11 >>>
14 >> I read the man page for this option, I'm not sure how it would help.
15 >> All that does is prevent it from recording that it is installed in the
16 >> world file.  Since I have -1 set as a default, it does that when I
17 >> emerge single packages already.  If I want to keep it and it not be
18 >> --depcleaned, then I use -n --select y to add it to the world file.
19 >> Thing is, some packages require some sort of kernel to be installed as a
20 >> dependency last I checked.
21 >>
22 >> Or am I missing something?
23 >>
24 >> Dale
25 >>
26 >> :-)  :-)
27 > It is just to exclude a gentoo-sources version from depclean. I
28 > assumed you do something like this:
29 >
30 > $> emerge -c --exclude=gentoo-sources:4.14.83
31 >
32 > and may be multiple times. With --noreplace the corresponding version
33 > will be omitted, so a simple 'emerge -c' would be enough.
34 >
35 > Anyway, I did struggle with this gentoo-sources thing a long time ago.
36 > I want to have the latest stable (minor) version (patch) of the
37 > running kernel installed as well the newest stable one. As long as it
38 > is not compiled and booted is uses only some disk space. If I have
39 > compiled the kernel I use e.g. 'emerge --noreplace
40 > gentoo-sources:4.14.83' to keep it.
41 >
42 > To get the latest patch version I have ...package.mask/gentoo-sources.
43 > For the latest stable sources I remove the file and re-create it
44 > afterwards. This is done by a cron job automatically. A little bit
45 > like this ('gentoo-sources' contains: ">=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.15")
46 >
47 > FN="${PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT}/etc/portage/package.mask/gentoo-sources"
48 > emerge -u gentoo-sources
49 > TMP=`cat $FN`
50 > rm -f $FN
51 > emerge -u gentoo-sources
52 > echo $TMP > $FN
53 >
54 > Just my way. To me it is important to have a high level of automation.
55 > With automation it is unimportant how many gentoo-sources kernels are
56 > installed. I remove obsolete ones periodically by hand.
57 >
58 > Kai
61 When I do --depclean, I just add --exclude gentoo-sources and it ignores
62 all versions of it.  I only have to type it once that way.  I do have a
63 few versions installed, one running plus a couple backups that are well
64 tested.  At the moment, I have one that I haven't booted yet.  I thought
65 a storm last night might give me that opportunity but the power held up
66 fine.
67
68 It sounds like you do something similar to me but you just automate it
69 more.  Since I do update only a couple times a year at most, it's not a
70 big deal.  I generally only run --depclean after a major KDE upgrade,
71 about once every 4 to 6 weeks.
72
73 Dale
74