From: Kai Peter <kp@×××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Preventing new versions of gentoo-sources…
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 19:07:52
1 On 2019-06-20 20:10, Dale wrote:
2 > Kai Peter wrote:
3 >>>
4 >>> The bad thing about this, sometimes I have to use exclude
5 >>> gentoo-sources
6 >>> from things such as --depclean.  It's annoying but it's the only way
7 >>> I
8 >>> could come up with to do this.
9 >>>
10 >> You can do an 'emerge --noreplace' - one time.
14 > I read the man page for this option, I'm not sure how it would help.
15 > All that does is prevent it from recording that it is installed in the
16 > world file.  Since I have -1 set as a default, it does that when I
17 > emerge single packages already.  If I want to keep it and it not be
18 > --depcleaned, then I use -n --select y to add it to the world file.
19 > Thing is, some packages require some sort of kernel to be installed as
20 > a
21 > dependency last I checked.
22 >
23 > Or am I missing something?
24 >
25 > Dale
26 >
27 > :-)  :-)
28 It is just to exclude a gentoo-sources version from depclean. I assumed
29 you do something like this:
30
31 $> emerge -c --exclude=gentoo-sources:4.14.83
32
33 and may be multiple times. With --noreplace the corresponding version
34 will be omitted, so a simple 'emerge -c' would be enough.
35
36 Anyway, I did struggle with this gentoo-sources thing a long time ago. I
37 want to have the latest stable (minor) version (patch) of the running
38 kernel installed as well the newest stable one. As long as it is not
39 compiled and booted is uses only some disk space. If I have compiled the
40 kernel I use e.g. 'emerge --noreplace gentoo-sources:4.14.83' to keep
41 it.
42
43 To get the latest patch version I have ...package.mask/gentoo-sources.
44 For the latest stable sources I remove the file and re-create it
45 afterwards. This is done by a cron job automatically. A little bit like
46 this ('gentoo-sources' contains: ">=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.15")
47
48 FN="${PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT}/etc/portage/package.mask/gentoo-sources"
49 emerge -u gentoo-sources
50 TMP=`cat $FN`
51 rm -f $FN
52 emerge -u gentoo-sources
53 echo $TMP > $FN
54
55 Just my way. To me it is important to have a high level of automation.
56 With automation it is unimportant how many gentoo-sources kernels are
57 installed. I remove obsolete ones periodically by hand.
58
59 Kai
60 --
61 Sent with eQmail-1.10.2 - a fork of djb's famous qmail