From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want a low-end usb laser printer with minimal config hassle
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2018 12:28:17
1 On Saturday, 8 December 2018 10:36:07 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Friday, 7 December 2018 22:47:06 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Friday, 7 December 2018 18:46:54 GMT Manuel McLure wrote:
4 > > > I'd highly recommend getting a networked printer that supports Port 9100
5 > > > instead of a USB one - this allows you to use the same printer for all
6 > > > of
7 > > > your systems.
8 > >
9 > > Nonsense. You just don't need a network interface if you don't have one.
10 > > This is Linux, not WinBloze.
11 >
12 > That came out a bit sharper than I intended. No offence meant.
13
14 It's a true statement, ethernet is not necessary, if you keep the PC with the
15 USB printer running when you need to print.
16
17 I've used both Linux & MSWindows as print servers. If memory serves WinXP was
18 able to offer 'Print Services for Unix', their name for LPD, to allow any USB
19 printer connected to the WinXP PC to be accessed by Linux clients using CUPS.
20 I didn't even have to install Samba on the Linux PCs, vanilla CUPS worked
21 fine. Of course the reverse is also true as Peter mentioned.
24 Regards,
25 Mick