From: Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gawk and filefuncs
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 10:51:47
1 >> You say it is mandatory on a Gentoo system, because there are awk
2 >> scripts that rely on. Do this functions break because of the missing
3 >> kernel? What would be the workaround?
4 >
5 > How are you building it? It needs special commands because it needs to
6 > become a shared object, not an executable.
9 Here is how I am building it and the whole context:
10
11 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Prefix/Cygwin#gawk-3.1.7:_.5Bfilefuncs.so.0.0.1.5D_Error_1
12
13 emerge --oneshot gawk
16 > Note that building that file is by no means necessary for a working gawk.
17 >
18 > And, even if you built it, it wouldn't do anything unless you specifically
19 > used the extension() gawk command to reference the object file and import
20 > the extra definitions (see the link I posted in the first email for all
21 > the gory details. Also the Makefile that comes with Gentoo's own
22 > filefuncs.c may help).
23
24 I did understand, that it is an extension, which provides additional
25 commands for awk scripts and that the gentoo system makes use of them
26 especially of it's own additions.
30 1.) It would compile on Cygwin. I just made a mistake.
31 2.) It depends on the missing kernel. I have to rewrite Gentoos
32 filefuncs.c to work without a linux kernel.
33 3.) I can go with the original extension. Portage does not really
34 depend on Gentoos additions.
35 4.) I have to adapt all awk scripts that make use of it.
36
37 Al