From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gawk and filefuncs
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 10:13:38
1 On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 00:25:32 +0200 Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Thank you very much. That is the best explanation a read to this. It
4 > should be deliverd with the sources.
5 >
6 > Still the procedure is unusual. They could apply a patch to
7 > extensions/ filefuncs.c and exclude it for vanilla.
8
9 Since it's critical for Gentoo gawk, perhaps they didn't want to depend on
10 gawk's source distribution suddenly removing that file or otherwise
11 changing (and patches need to be maintained up-to-date against the
12 original, while a standalone file does not need maintenance).
13 But this is all just my guessing.
14
15 > I have a second issue. When compiling gawk on Cygwin, where is no
16 > windows kernel, the Gentoo version of filefuncs breaks. I have to
17 > disable it in the ebuild to get gawk compiled.
18 >
19 > filefuncs.o:filefuncs.c:(.text+0x1e): undefined reference to
20 > `_make_builtin' [... lots of this ... ]
21 > filefuncs.o:filefuncs.c:(.text+0x10f1): undefined reference to
22 > `_update_ERRNO' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
23 > make: *** [filefuncs.so.0.0.1] Error 1
24 >
25 > You say it is mandatory on a Gentoo system, because there are awk
26 > scripts that rely on. Do this functions break because of the missing
27 > kernel? What would be the workaround?
28
29 How are you building it? It needs special commands because it needs to
30 become a shared object, not an executable.
31
32 Note that building that file is by no means necessary for a working gawk.
33
34 And, even if you built it, it wouldn't do anything unless you specifically
35 used the extension() gawk command to reference the object file and import
36 the extra definitions (see the link I posted in the first email for all
37 the gory details. Also the Makefile that comes with Gentoo's own
38 filefuncs.c may help).