From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] remote ssh session does not reflect my keyboard inputs
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 20:43:31
1 On Sunday 13 May 2007 21:12, Mick wrote:
2
3 > I've tried bind -p | grep history and it did not work:
4 > ==========================================
5 > $ sudo bind -p | grep history
6 > Password:
7 > sudo: bind: command not found
8 > ==========================================
9
10 bind is a builtin bash command, I'm not sure about how it behaves when
11 invoked by sudo. However, it should work fine even when run as a regular
12 user.
13
14 > I also tried changing the terminal once I logged in to the remote
15 > machine, but I am getting the same error:
16 > ==========================================
17 > $ export TERM=vt100
18 > $ ^[[B^[[B
19 > ==========================================
20 >
21 > What else could I try?
22
23 Could it possibly be related to the readline library and the inputrc
24 file? It seems that some keys are undefined on the machine you are
25 sshing to. In the case of the left arrow (but of course this holds for
26 any key that is not working as expected), try
27
28 $ bind -q backward-char
29
30 on both boxes. On my computer, it outputs
31
32 backward-char can be invoked via "\C-b", "\eOD", "\e[D".
33
34 Of these, "\e[D" is the one that corresponds to the "left arrow" key.
35
36 If your output for the non-working computer is different, then it means
37 that the left arrow key is not bound to the same function (or is not
38 bound at all). This could be due to a ~/.inputrc file that redefines
39 some keys. See man bash, section READLINE to get more info about
40 readline. (BTW, there are *lots* of things that can be customized
41 regarding readline behavior, and creating your own inputrc file can be a
42 great learning experience - or at least, it was for me when I did it for
43 LFS). Verify that you are using the same editing mode (usually emacs) on
44 both boxes, with the command
45
46 set -o | grep '^vi\|^emacs'
47
48 Check whether the INPUTRC environment variable points to some file. On
49 gentoo, bash does not read /etc/inputrc, but perhaps on ubuntu it does.
50
51 As a last resort, you can try to create your own ~/.inputrc on the ubuntu
52 box and put there all the key bindings you need (using CTRL+V + key to
53 find out the correct values, as suggested in the comments at the
54 beginning of gentoo /etc/inputrc, or copying them directly from the
55 gentoo output of bind -p).
56 --
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list