From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Another USE question
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 12:46:52
1 On 27 May 2009, at 10:11, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> Nah, that just doesn't cut it. It's annoying as hell. It's far less
4 >> annoying to simply "equery uses" on the USE flags you see during an
5 >> "emerge -a" and edit make.conf by hand instead of doing the
6 >> scroll-circus. You try to read text by constantly scrolling right
7 >> and
8 >> left. It doesn't work for me, and probably for the majority of
9 >> others
10 >> neither.
11 >
12 > oh yeah, scrolling for a tenth of a second is so much slower than
13 > feeding
14 > equery or euse and then open make.conf, type, check that you did not
15 > forget
16 > something ....
17
18 When you called me a liar, the post you were replying to contained a
19 bit of detail on this.
20
21 Apparently you didn't bother to read all that, and just jumped to some
22 kind of conclusions and treated me like an idiot.
23
24 It's all about a matter of user interfaces and modes of thought. For
25 some people, a curses interface just isn't going to be as smooth as
26 some other.
27
28 Personally, if I type `emerge -pv mplayer` and see 30 different USE
29 flags listed, then it doesn't help me that they will be obscured if I
30 run ufed (which takes over the whole terminal window, overwriting the
31 output I was just looking at). No longer can I see what USE flags I'm
32 supposed to be looking for, and it doesn't help that there are loads
33 of USE flags in the tree that are unmemorable 4 letter acronyms.
34
35 That's why `euses` or `equery uses` just really suit me well. I can
36 don't have to open make.conf because I use flagedit, and I can bring
37 these commands up really quickly by typing ctrl-r and three letters;
38 when I retrieve a line from Bash history I tend to use the down-arrow
39 immediately followed by the up-arrow to get the cursor to the end of
40 the line; I can then use ctrl-w to delete the last word of the
41 historical command, and then I just type the new package or USE that I
42 want to query. For me this works very quickly. I guess it just suits
43 my keyboard style.
44
45 I don't want to have to bitched out because your favourite tool
46 doesn't suit me.
47
48 Stroller.