From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Another USE question
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 09:12:01
1 On Mittwoch 27 Mai 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Mittwoch 27 Mai 2009, Stroller wrote:
4 > >> On 27 May 2009, at 00:33, Keith Dart wrote:
5 > >>>>> ...
6 > >>>>> USE_FOO="this n that"
7 > >>>>> USE_BAR="some more flags"
8 > >>>>> BLAH="whatever else there might be"
9 > >>>>>
10 > >>>>> USE="${USE_FOO} ${USE_BAR} ${BLAH}
11 > >>>>
12 > >>>> Thank's. That is exactly what I was looking for.
13 > >>>
14 > >>> But that will likely break, or render useless, the ufed tool.
15 > >>>
16 > >>> If you don't use that, you probably should.
17 > >>
18 > >> I'm really unconvinced by ufed.
19 > >>
20 > >> In a standard terminal window, 80 characters wide, the descriptions
21 > >> are too long and instead of wrapping around to the next line they fall
22 > >> off the end of the screen and you can't read them. Sure, I can resize
23 > >> the terminal window, but I don't want to have to do that manually each
24 > >> time I run ufed, then resize it back to my usual size again
25 > >> afterwards. ufed is about the only program I've used which doesn't
26 > >> seem right in my "standard" terminal window size of 50 rows x 80
27 > >> columns.
28 > >
29 > > or you can, you know, scroll it.
30 > > Protip: arrow keys, left, right.
31 >
32 > Nah, that just doesn't cut it. It's annoying as hell. It's far less
33 > annoying to simply "equery uses" on the USE flags you see during an
34 > "emerge -a" and edit make.conf by hand instead of doing the
35 > scroll-circus. You try to read text by constantly scrolling right and
36 > left. It doesn't work for me, and probably for the majority of others
37 > neither.
38
39 oh yeah, scrolling for a tenth of a second is so much slower than feeding
40 equery or euse and then open make.conf, type, check that you did not forget
41 something ....