From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to rebuild gentoo on a somewhat different hardware
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:56:22
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 11:33 on Tuesday 16 November 2010, Helmut
2 Jarausch did opine thusly:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > I have an up-to-date ~amd64 GenToo installation with has been
7 > built on a current AMD64 (Phenom II) machine where I used
8 > -mtune=native in etc/make.conf since I didn't think of the case
9 > that I would need to port this system to a somewhat older Opteron
10 > based machine (still AMD64)
11 >
12 > But after cloning the system, some fundamental utilities die of
13 > an illegal instruction. So I have to rebuild GenToo nearly
14 > from scratch. emerge -e world doesn't work.
15 >
16 > So, what is a reasonably fast method?
17
18 Backup your portage related data and re-install.
19
20 Seriously - you know you are looking at doing emerge -e world and will need to
21 fiddle stuff to make it complete successfully.
22
23 If you just reinstall, put your old world file and /etc/portage/ back then let
24 portage have at it, that is exactly what will happen. You'll have 30-45
25 minutes of setup work and a high level of confidence it will complete
26 successfully.
27
28 Trying to fix the existing installation is potentially many hours of poking
29 around to see what changed, potentially several goes at running emerge -e
30 world, hair pulling, and you will probably give up and just reinstall anyway.
31
32 I'm assuming you are looking for the easiest, fastest route to success with
33 the least pain, and that your days of poking into portage to see how things
34 work for fun are long over.
39 > I'd like to keep
40 > /etc
41 > /usr/portage except /usr/portage/packages
42 > /var/lib/portage
43 >
44 > Is there a fast method e.g. by using the Gentoo based
45 > SystemRescueCD to reinstall a very basic system, such that
46 > I can do emerge -e world.
47 > It looks as if the gcc tool-chain is intact since I could
48 > compile a kernel without any problem.
49 > But some utilities, e.g. find, die of an illegal instruction.
50 >
51 > Many thanks for any hints saving me a couple of hours work,
52 >
53 > Helmut.
56 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com