From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Hardware Problems causing kernel panics during large compiles
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 01:20:53
1 Jason Weisberger wrote:
2 >
3 > Sorry for the delayed response on the result, but i decided to do a
4 > makeopts -j1 while i was at it. Compile has been going on for two
5 > hours. Shoot me :)
8 I doubt this is the issue but I ran into a weird one a while back. I
9 have a data drive, it's mounted on /data and stores all sorts of stuff
10 including movies. Anyway, when the drive was being wrote to and reached
11 a certain point, it would cause a hard lock up most of the time.
12 Sometimes I could use SysReq keys to get it back. My point is,
13 somewhere in the back of your mind, ask yourself if something, swap
14 maybe, could be hitting a certain spot on a drive or file system.
15
16 In the end, I moved all my data off that drive, redone the file system,
17 moved all the data back and it has worked fine ever since. It's weird I
18 know. Just keep that in mind in case something comes up and this is
19 what is going on. Puters do weird things just to throw use a curve ball
20 and make us scratch our heads until we are bald.
21
22 Dale
23
27 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
28
29 Miss the compile output? Hint:
30 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"