From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Email clients - what can replace Evolution?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:35:56
1 On 2/28/07, Nelson, David (ED, PAR&D) <David.Nelson2@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > > -----Original Message-----
3 > > From: James Ausmus [mailto:james.ausmus@×××××.com]
4 > > Sent: 28 February 2007 08:45
5 > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Email clients - what can replace Evolution?
9 > > On 2/27/07, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
10 > > > Hi all,
11 > > > I've got a machine that will no longer run Evolution.
12 > > For whatever
13 > > > reason all versions of Evolution in Portage crash. I cannot
14 > > as of yet
15 > > > get a backtrace to determine why. Even if I could a fast solution
16 > > > would depend on other folks seeing what's wrong and telling
17 > > me how to
18 > > > fix it by recompiling some library or something.
19 > > <snip>
20 > >
21 > > Have you tried running a revdep-rebuild -p -v to see if there's
22 > > anything broken? Do you know what triggered the crashing behavious -
23 > > did an update get run, did something new get emerged, did some ebuild
24 > > get unmerged?
25 > >
26 > > HTH-
27 > >
28 > > James
29 >
30 > I'd second the revdep-rebuild solution. It's best knowing why it crashed rather than ignoring it in case it starts taking down other applications as well.
31 >
32 > A quick google however found:
33 >
34 > - Importing contacts to Thunderbird. USE THE SCRIPT AT YOUR OWN RISK.
35 > http://www.mepis.org/node/2916
36 >
37 > - Importing emails (Evo doesnt have to be working...)
38 > http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=04/09/10/1446217&tid=37&tid=101 (although this is from 2004)
41 > As always, YMMV.
42
43 Thanks. Yes, I'm completely through the emerge -DuN world,
44 revdep-rebuild process. No help there. Evolution continues to crash.
45 We were running Evolution 2.4. Unfortunately it's no longer in
46 portage. I've built every unmasked and masked version in portage and
47 they all crash. BugBuddy pops up but the backtrace is useless since
48 there is no debugging info. I'm going to rebuild the who machine from
49 scratch (emerge -e system, emerge -e world) to see if I get lucky.
50
51 Anyway, thanks. We're happy to look at Thunderbird if it might work.
52
53 - Mark
54 --
55 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list