From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question regarding UTF-8 settings
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 16:34:39
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [11-08-28 18:08]:
2 > On Sunday 28 Aug 2011 12:41:54 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [11-08-28 13:08]:
4 > > > On Sunday 28 Aug 2011 09:51:36 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 > > > > Hi,
6 > > > >
7 > > > > following this guide:
8 > > > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml
9 > > > >
10 > > > > Doing a
11 > > > >
12 > > > > locale -a | grep de_DE | grep utf
13 > > > >
14 > > > > I got:
15 > > > > de_DE.utf8
16 > > > >
17 > > > > .
18 > > > >
19 > > > > Then I created the file
20 > > > >
21 > > > > /etc/init.d/02locale
22 > > >
23 > > > Hmm ... you probably want to create /etc/env.d/02locale instead.
24 > > >
25 > > > Then set in it:
26 > > >
27 > > > LC_LANG=de_DE.utf8
28 > > >
29 > > > and perhaps:
30 > > >
31 > > > LC_TIME="POSIX"
32 > > > LC_COLLATE="C"
33 > > >
34 > > > and things should hopefully work out as intended after you run env-update
35 > > > or logout/login.
36 > >
37 > > Hi Mick,
38 > >
39 > > ....I did create /etc/env.d/02locale...I only confused it in my
40 > > posting...
41 > >
42 > > Now I have changed, what you have suggested, but mutt still has
43 > > problems with the "arrows" when displaying threads.
44 > > Is there any other fix known regarding mutt?
45 >
46 > Although I'm using mrxvt as a terminal I do not use mutt. Where is mutt
47 > picking up its encoding for those arrows? Could it be that they are hard
48 > coded somehow in it? Sorry I can't suggest anything more useful on this
49 > problem ...
50 >
51 > --
52 > Regards,
53 > Mick
54
55 Hi Mick,
56
57 I switched from mrxvt, which gets screwed up when compiled from svn
58 (the only source for a mrxvt, which a part of unicode support) and
59 confronted then with some key combos like CTRL-SHIFT-UPARROW, to urxvt,
60 which understands unicode fully, but has "only" a basic tabbed
61 support. This fixes the locks.
62
63 For the other problem, the arrows in threads, I instructed mutt to
64 use ASCII-symbols like +-> or \-> instead, which looks a little retro,
65 but may be this will correspond to the IBM Model M keyboard I use (and
66 like so much ;).
67
68 It just like being retro-progressive: Take the best of both worlds:
69 Run a AMD-hexacore-PC, use Gentoo with openbox, avoid graphically
70 gimmicks (no punt intended!), avoid using the mouse, get used to use
71 vim, sed, awk, col, cmp, diff, join, uniq, fmt and such to their full
72 power and do all this with a 20 year old keyboard, which looks like
73 new. ;)
74
75 Its feeling like MyGyver inventing the IT-industry from a soldering
76 iron, a 80x40 charakter terminal and a 386 processor, hahahahaha!
77
78 All this not really meant /THAT/ seriously... :)
79
80 Best regards and have a nice "whatever time of the day you
81 currently may have" .
82 mcc