From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Knock on wood
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 09:10:34
1 090812 Alan E. Davis wrote:
2 > I'm a little reluctant to say this, but it's been a couple of months now
3 > since I switched back to Gentoo, and I want to shout out my pleasure
4 > that this system has been performing admirably well this time around,
5 > in comparison with earlier installations. None of the earlier installations
6 > were unacceptable, in fact, Gentoo remained my favorite. I moved to Ubuntu
7 > because maintainance of the Gentoo boxes was much more time consuming.
8
9 Yes, that seems to be the usual reason users leave Gentoo:
10 like owning a dog, you have to find time to maintain/exercise it.
11 However, unlike a dog, you can catch up after a long absence:
12 I've just finished updating the system in my stand-by box,
13 which had hardly been touched since 0809, but everything's ok now.
14
15 > I've watched Gentoo plummet in the popularity ratings, eg at distrowatch.
16
17 It got a lot of attention from the neophiles c 2002 ,
18 but as with everything they soon moved on to the next latest fad.
19 Gentoo is not for everyone: compare 'Financial Times',
20 one of the World's best newspapers, but it takes 3 days to read 1 issue.
21
22 > I've watched as the best documentation EVER on Gentoo wiki
23 > as fallen off the edge of the world.
24
25 Admin got neglected awhile, but my impression is that lessons were learned
26 & the basic running of the distro is now well-managed.
27
28 > Now, however, I have not had any such problem, or maybe I should say,
29 > the one or two times I have it was easy to figure things out.
30 > Is it because I'm more experienced, or perhaps more cautious?
31 > I don't know, but I tend to think the distribution is more mature.
32
33 If you insist on being at the cutting edge, sometimes you hurt your fingers.
34 I haven't had a serious problem with Gentoo since installing it 2003
35 & again in my latest machine 2007 . Just last week,
36 after Mozilla made sound the default setting for Xulrunner + Firefox,
37 I entered a bug -- I don't want sound software in my machine --
38 & got a very prompt fix from the dev involved (thanks again).
39
40 > And never a cranky whine, like on other lists, never any complaint.
41
42 There was a silly troll last week, but everyone ignored it:
43 yes, that's a sign of maturity.
44
45 > Thank you to all the developers and all the list people
46 > who have consistently given the highest and most professional level
47 > of assistance to a rather clueless user.
48 > This is typical, and always has been with Gentoo's community.
49
50 The devs do need to get regular thanks for their unpaid work.
54 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
55 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
56 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca