From: bn <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Knock on wood
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:51:48
1 Philip Webb ha scritto:
2 > 090812 Alan E. Davis wrote:
3 >> I'm a little reluctant to say this, but it's been a couple of months now
4 >> since I switched back to Gentoo, and I want to shout out my pleasure
5 >> that this system has been performing admirably well this time around,
6 >> in comparison with earlier installations. None of the earlier installations
7 >> were unacceptable, in fact, Gentoo remained my favorite. I moved to Ubuntu
8 >> because maintainance of the Gentoo boxes was much more time consuming.
9 >
10 > Yes, that seems to be the usual reason users leave Gentoo:
11 > like owning a dog, you have to find time to maintain/exercise it.
12
13 I am starting to be in trouble using Gentoo for this very reason. Once I
14 used it on my desktop system, which was OK to be "under repair" once in
15 a while, since I had my workstation at work. Now I moved abroad and I
16 only have my laptop to use for all -home and work. If it is hosed, I am
17 lost (I have the OS X partition but it is basically useless for my job).
18
19 So I am becoming very reluctant in updating critical components -one
20 example is my kernel, which is basically untouched since I installed, in
21 late 2007. I know it's counterproductive, because the more I wait, the
22 worse it is, but it's always a matter of time, and I don't have that
23 time -not to update per se, which I have, but to face problems in case
24 critical updates don't go smooth.
25
26 Any advice on this kind of situation? I would rather not buy a "backup
27 laptop".
28
29 > However, unlike a dog, you can catch up after a long absence:
30
31 Heh, I hope so!
32
33 m.