From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternative kernels
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 00:22:43
1 On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 6:30 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> The systemd line was always that if you wanted to ship your logs off
6 >> to another box, use rsyslog. So I've never understood the embedding of
7 >> an httpd in systemd. I guess that the httpd server's useful if if you
8 >> want a basic send-the-logs-to-another-box-as-is, but that, if you want
9 >> to filter or manipulate the journald output, you have to use rsyslog
10 >> or syslog-ng.
11 >
12 > If you're going to implement a log manager there is no reason to not
13 > let it export logs to a central manager.
14
15 True.
16
17 On second thought, I now remember that Lennart said that there was no
18 intention to use syslog's udptcp output. So he hadn't ruled out http.
19 And I misrepresented the systemd line.
22 > As far as filtering/manipulating logs goes, you can do plenty of that
23 > with journalctl already, and it supports dumping your logs in json so
24 > you can do anything you want with them in another tool. There aren't
25 > really any such tools around yet, but I'm sure we'll see them come up.
26
27 You can filter/manipulate logs with journalctl - and nicely so - but
28 you can't combine it with journal-gatewayd; the latter exports all the
29 logs, as shown in the output of "journalctl". Maybe there'll be one
30 day a tool to tweak the output of journal-gatewayd...