From: Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Trying to solve blockage when trying to install kde-meta-4.1.2
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 02:23:33
1 On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I don't like package managers which require interactivity.
4 >> emerge -uvDp world | less is easier to parse then emerge -upDa world.
5 >> Why? Because I don't have to find a way of transferring <return> if
6 >> less handles all of the keyboard input.
7 >> So I prefer two stages:
8 >> 1) pretend merge - single verbosity - and look at output
9 >> 2) actual merge - normal / quiet - and pipe to tee
10 >
11 > So what you're saying... is that emerge should have a switch to turn
12 > on, when using -p, -a, and/or -t, a pager? Particularly one that,
13 > until you're content with -a in particular, doesn't accidentally have
14 > a means of handing output back off to the emerge for the yes/no? This
15 Yes.
16 > would spare the double run of the dependency checker while giving
17 > users who want it a pager to use and giving the rest the same
18 > functionality a simple -a gives now... something like etc-update's use
19 > of a pager comes to mind. Let's see... -P is taken for --prune ...
20 > --less/-L or... --more/-m ... --more/-M ? Of course, --pager/-M would
21 > work too, but it's less intuitive (we already have --unmerge/-C ... so
22 > why not, I suppose). Not *quite* sure I'm up to the task at the
23 > moment, though.
24
25 But I usually use emerge -p > file in order to see the difference in
26 dependencies from testing USE flags.
27 I would always choose -pN over -aN.
28
29 Where's the portage to-do list?
30 If you can find it, add these two items:
31 fix the uname
32 add pager support for -p, -a, -t
37 Andrey Vul
38
39 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
40 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
41 A: Top-posting.
42 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?