From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Trying to solve blockage when trying to install kde-meta-4.1.2
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 01:44:51
1 On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I don't like package managers which require interactivity.
3 > emerge -uvDp world | less is easier to parse then emerge -upDa world.
4 > Why? Because I don't have to find a way of transferring <return> if
5 > less handles all of the keyboard input.
6 > So I prefer two stages:
7 > 1) pretend merge - single verbosity - and look at output
8 > 2) actual merge - normal / quiet - and pipe to tee
9
10 So what you're saying... is that emerge should have a switch to turn
11 on, when using -p, -a, and/or -t, a pager? Particularly one that,
12 until you're content with -a in particular, doesn't accidentally have
13 a means of handing output back off to the emerge for the yes/no? This
14 would spare the double run of the dependency checker while giving
15 users who want it a pager to use and giving the rest the same
16 functionality a simple -a gives now... something like etc-update's use
17 of a pager comes to mind. Let's see... -P is taken for --prune ...
18 --less/-L or... --more/-m ... --more/-M ? Of course, --pager/-M would
19 work too, but it's less intuitive (we already have --unmerge/-C ... so
20 why not, I suppose). Not *quite* sure I'm up to the task at the
21 moment, though.
24 Poison [BLX]
25 Joshua M. Murphy