From: Aggelos <marmango@××××××××.gr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] radeon and framebuffer
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 20:44:19
1 Holly Bostick wrote:
2 > Aggelos schreef:
3 >
4 >>Is it possible to have framebuffer on console with the ATI RV280
5 >>graphics card, while also getting 3D hardware acceleration when
6 >>switching to X? I am asking this because according to
7 >><http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ATI_Drivers> we must remove Support for
8 >> framebuffer devices from the kernel. Aggelos.
11 > Looks like you didn't read the entry thoroughly;
12
13 Yes. You're right.
14
15 this quote is below the
16 > screenshot of the kernel config specifying no framebuffer support:
17 >
18 > "I have a Radeon 9500/9600 (not sure which) in a Dell Inspiron 8600 and
19 > was able to compile support for the framebuffer devices. I used the
20 > vesa-tng framebuffer device for getting fbsplash to work. I am running
21 > kernel 2.6.14-gentoo-r2. The program 'fglrxinfo' reports that I am
22 > getting 3D hardware acceleration."
23 >
24 > I myself have a 9800SE, and also use vesa-tng for fbsplash. Both
25 > fbsplash/framebuffer and fglrx work fine; aside from the fb console
26 > background, I can even play mplayer videos in the getty console, which
27 > is also a framebuffer operation as far as I know. I have heard that
28 > enabling the radeon framebuffer is a bad idea, though (it doesn't work
29 > well with the fglrx drivers). But stick to vesa or vesa-tng, and you
30 > should have no problems. I haven't, from 2.6.13 kernels up to my current
31 > (2.6.15-r7), and with fglrx versions from 8.8.whatever to my current 8.22.5.
32
33 Did you compile vesa-tng as module or in the kernel (if it matters) ?
34
35 I use linux-2.6.15-reiser4-r1
36 (sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.15-r1
37 sys-kernel/reiser4-gentoo-sources-2.6.15-r1)
38
39 As far as I can see, I have to select
40 "<*> Support for frame buffer devices"
41 for "VESA VGA graphics support" to appear as an option.
42 If I choose <M> for Support for frame buffer devices, I don't have the
43 VESA option available. Right?
44 Thanks.
45 Aggelos
46