From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] radeon and framebuffer
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 18:32:53
1 Aggelos schreef:
2 > Is it possible to have framebuffer on console with the ATI RV280
3 > graphics card, while also getting 3D hardware acceleration when
4 > switching to X? I am asking this because according to
5 > <http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ATI_Drivers> we must remove Support for
6 > framebuffer devices from the kernel. Aggelos.
7
8 Looks like you didn't read the entry thoroughly; this quote is below the
9 screenshot of the kernel config specifying no framebuffer support:
10
11 "I have a Radeon 9500/9600 (not sure which) in a Dell Inspiron 8600 and
12 was able to compile support for the framebuffer devices. I used the
13 vesa-tng framebuffer device for getting fbsplash to work. I am running
14 kernel 2.6.14-gentoo-r2. The program 'fglrxinfo' reports that I am
15 getting 3D hardware acceleration."
16
17 I myself have a 9800SE, and also use vesa-tng for fbsplash. Both
18 fbsplash/framebuffer and fglrx work fine; aside from the fb console
19 background, I can even play mplayer videos in the getty console, which
20 is also a framebuffer operation as far as I know. I have heard that
21 enabling the radeon framebuffer is a bad idea, though (it doesn't work
22 well with the fglrx drivers). But stick to vesa or vesa-tng, and you
23 should have no problems. I haven't, from 2.6.13 kernels up to my current
24 (2.6.15-r7), and with fglrx versions from 8.8.whatever to my current 8.22.5.
25
26 Hope this helps.
27 Holly
28 --