From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Typewriter sound
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 16:37:23
1 Am Donnerstag 01 September 2011, 00:57:37 schrieb Grant Edwards:
2 > On 2011-08-31, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > >> I checked, and I do have the old standard PC-speaker connected to the
4 > >> motherboard, and "xset c" still does nothing.
5 > >>
6 > >>> not playing a custom sound file.
7 > >>
8 > >> Which is what the OP asked for.
9 > >
10 > > Hey, it wasn't my idea. Talk to Volker for more details about the
11 > > xset-as-typewriter-sound idea. :)
12 >
13 > I'm still waiting for him to defend his snide remarks about how we
14 > were all stupid for doing things other than using xset...
15 >
16 > > I didn't reply to the OP. I only replied about xset
17 > > (non-)functionality, where it sounds like we're in agreement that it
18 > > just sounds the system bell (or whatever you call it).
19 >
20 > No, it doesn't do that for me, and I don't ever remember being able to
21 > get it to do so. I just tried on a couple different systems (all of
22 > which have a "pc speaker", and 'xset c' doesn't do anying.
23 >
24 > Does 'xset c' work for you?
25
26 if xset does not work for you and you are using KDE: there is an option in
27 system-settings.
28 I am sure there is one for gnome in their config tool too.
29
30 You guys are still re-inventing wheels.
33 #163933