From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new genkernel problem
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 16:34:36
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 10:13:56 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> If you do copy yours manually to /boot, what command do you use for
5 >>>> dracut?  Maybe I'm doing it a hard way or something and you have a
6 >>>> easier method.
7 >>> cd /usr/src/linux
8 >>> make all modules_install install
9 >>> dracut --kver=$(cat include/config/kernel.release)
10 >>>
11 >>> It doesn't get much easier ;-)
12 >
13 >> From what I've read, I like my way better.  I did have to change the
14 >> names from bzimage* to kernel* but other than that, I can use the naming
15 >> method I've used for years and keep the good kernels I want.
16 > make install names the kernels vmlinuz-$VERSION, and updates a symlink to
17 > vmlinuz if one exists.
18
19 But sometimes I have more than one of the same version.  I add a -1, -2,
20 -3 etc to them as I go.  From my understanding, make install doesn't do
21 that.  I do and with good reason. It seems make install won't accomplish
22 what I do by hand.
25 >> On
26 >> occasion I remove outdated ones I no longer plan to use.  I still wish I
27 >> didn't need the init thingy but still.
28 > make install doesn't remove anything, that's your job!
29
30 Neither does my method.  When /boot starts getting fullish, I use
31 uprecords to help determine what kernels to keep along with what kernels
32 would still be compatible with system changes.  In my opinion, the admin
33 should do those manually.
37 >> My biggest problem, getting the dracut command options right.  If I
38 >> didn't need dracut, I'd be in heaven.
39 > If you have a plain setup, dracut shouldn't need any options.
43 I don't have a plain setup tho nor do I really want that setup.  I like
44 having backup kernels and my own numbering system.  It has worked for me
45 for decades, ever since I started using Gentoo and building my own
46 kernels.  I don't see any point in changing what works unless I can
47 streamline what I'm already getting with the results I expect.  If I
48 could get rid of the init thingy, I would have zero issues with my
49 method.  It's dracut that causes the issues. We all know how much I
50 dislike init thingys tho.  ;-)  That said, dracut hasn't failed me in a
51 while.  If it can't build correctly, it does spit out it failed.  It's
52 been a while since the init thingy it creates has failed as well.  So,
53 at least there is that.
54
55 Dale
56
58
59 P. S. Second drive passed the long selftest.  Copying files over as I
60 type.  I think this one might live.  I suspect at least one of them was
61 broken.  I just got the two mixed up.  They are identical in brand and
62 size.  Now to go rebuild the mineral site for the deer.  Picked up 150
63 lbs of goodness yesterday. :-D