From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new genkernel problem
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 22:11:25
1 On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 11:34:28 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > >> From what I've read, I like my way better.  I did have to change the
4 > >> names from bzimage* to kernel* but other than that, I can use the
5 > >> naming method I've used for years and keep the good kernels I want.
6 > > make install names the kernels vmlinuz-$VERSION, and updates a
7 > > symlink to vmlinuz if one exists.
8 >
9 > But sometimes I have more than one of the same version.  I add a -1, -2,
10 > -3 etc to them as I go.  From my understanding, make install doesn't do
11 > that.  I do and with good reason. It seems make install won't accomplish
12 > what I do by hand.
13
14 There's a kernel option that does that automatically, LOCALVERSION I
15 think, but it's years since I've needed to touch it.
16
17 > >> My biggest problem, getting the dracut command options right.  If I
18 > >> didn't need dracut, I'd be in heaven.
19
20 > > If you have a plain setup, dracut shouldn't need any options.
21
22 > I don't have a plain setup tho nor do I really want that setup.
23
24 You don't boot from an encrypted drive (yet) or use unusual hardware,
25 that's what I meant by a plain system. Dracut handles booting from a a
26 btrfs root on a LUKS encrypted block device here with no fancy
27 configuration. It really is impressive the way it figures so much out for
28 itself.
29
30 > I like
31 > having backup kernels and my own numbering system.  It has worked for me
32 > for decades, ever since I started using Gentoo and building my own
33 > kernels.  I don't see any point in changing what works unless I can
34 > streamline what I'm already getting with the results I expect.  If I
35 > could get rid of the init thingy, I would have zero issues with my
36 > method.  It's dracut that causes the issues. We all know how much I
37 > dislike init thingys tho.  ;-)  That said, dracut hasn't failed me in a
38 > while.  If it can't build correctly, it does spit out it failed.  It's
39 > been a while since the init thingy it creates has failed as well.  So,
40 > at least there is that.
41
42 I use a shell script to compile and install the kernel, build the
43 initramfs and then update the bootloader. It means the process is always
44 executed consistently and I only have to remember one command :)
48 Neil Bothwick
49
50 WinErr 002: No Error - Yet