From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What happened to my CPU?
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:28:11
1 On Monday 13 December 2004 13:04, Abraham Marin Perez wrote:
2 > Hi everyone:
3 >
4 > Lately I had a very weird problem with my CPU. I keep my computer on
5 > due to I hold a web page and some other stuff, but this morning my
6 > computer was off. I ruled out tension or current peaks because I have an
7 > UPS and no other electronic device at home seems to be affected by such
8 > a thing, so I guess it had to be dued to something in my computer.
9 >
10 > But that's not all. The actual problem is that when I turned it on
11 > my system didn't recognise my AMD Athlon XP 1700 (what I had and have)
12 > but just an AMD Athlon 1100. I haven't been able to find out whether
13 > it's actually working at this lower speed or it's just a naming problem,
14 > but anyway this seems to be a quite bizarre problem.
15 >
16 > Is there anyone who has any idea about what happened and why? Thanks,
17 > Abraham
20 an faulty asus board (with via chipset) around here resets the FSB from 133 to
21 100 at every reboot. You have to cold boot it instead. There was nothing
22 that could be done to stop that behaviour (it was an old one and worked fine
23 for some time for it first user).
24
25 Maybe the bios-battery got weak (we ruled that out here, but is maybe your
26 problem)?
27
28 For the unplanned reboot: maybe it is time to remove dust from the
29 cooler/heatsink? Or check the PSU that it got not weak?
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list