From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] upgrading from kernel 2.6.24-rc6 to latest kernel
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 11:29:04
1 090517 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:18:14 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> 'make oldconfig' is the usual recommendation, but there's no help:
4 >> it's just a list of "Do you want to ... ?" which you can't save easily.
5 > Of course there's help. Most options give a choice of y/n/m/?.
6
7 Yes (red face). However, the crucial option here was ATA_SFF ,
8 for which 'make oldconfig' gives :
9
10 ATA SFF support (ATA_SFF) [Y/n/?] (NEW) ?
11
12 This option adds support for ATA controllers with SFF
13 compliant or similar programming interface.
14
15 SFF is the legacy IDE interface that has been around since
16 the dawn of time. Almost all PATA controllers have an
17 SFF interface. Many SATA controllers have an SFF interface
18 when configured into a legacy compatibility mode.
19
20 For users with exclusively modern controllers like AHCI,
21 Silicon Image 3124, or Marvell 6440, you may choose to
22 disable this uneeded SFF support.
23
24 If unsure, say Y.
25
26 The blurb tells me nothing, but if I follow its advice, I do get :
27
28 ...
29 JMicron PATA support (PATA_JMICRON) [Y/n/m/?] y
30
31 which was what I needed (and now have).
32
33 What the blurb should have added is the following,
34 which occurs somewhat later in the config interview :
35
36 X86 Platform Specific Device Drivers (X86_PLATFORM_DEVICES) [Y/n/?] (NEW) ?
37
38 Say Y here to get to see options for device drivers for various
39 x86 platforms, including vendor-specific laptop extension drivers.
40 This option alone does not add any kernel code.
41
42 If you say N, all options in this submenu will be skipped and disabled.
46 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
47 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
48 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca