From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] upgrading from kernel 2.6.24-rc6 to latest kernel
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 11:57:56
1 On Mon, 18 May 2009 07:29:00 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 > > Of course there's help. Most options give a choice of y/n/m/?.
4 >
5 > Yes (red face). However, the crucial option here was ATA_SFF ,
6 > for which 'make oldconfig' gives :
7 >
8 > ATA SFF support (ATA_SFF) [Y/n/?] (NEW) ?
9 >
10 > This option adds support for ATA controllers with SFF
11 > compliant or similar programming interface.
12 >
13 > SFF is the legacy IDE interface that has been around since
14 > the dawn of time. Almost all PATA controllers have an
15 > SFF interface. Many SATA controllers have an SFF interface
16 > when configured into a legacy compatibility mode.
17 >
18 > For users with exclusively modern controllers like AHCI,
19 > Silicon Image 3124, or Marvell 6440, you may choose to
20 > disable this uneeded SFF support.
21 >
22 > If unsure, say Y.
23 >
24 > The blurb tells me nothing, but if I follow its advice, I do get :
25
26 I said there was help, I didn't claim it was helpful :)
27
28 I got bitten by this one a while ago on a box using a mixture of SATA and
29 PATA disks, the PATA disk disappeared after an upgrade because I took
30 the help to indicate I didn't need it I should have followed the "If
31 unsure..." advice.
35 Neil Bothwick
36
37 Beware of the dragon: Trespassers will be flame-grilled