From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 16:38:24
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 3 Apr 2013 16:38:28 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >
5 >> > Have you read the news item?
6 >>
7 >> Yes. I found it rather confusing.
8 >>
9 >> It refers to a "new format" for rules, but the examples use the exact
10 >> same format as the old rules.
11 >
12 > Poor choice of terminology there, the format is the same only the chosen
13 > namespace is different.
14 >
15 >> It talks about how 80-net-name-slot.rules needs to be either an empty
16 >> file or a synmlink to /dev/null if you want to disable the new naming
17 >> scheme -- but that doesn't seem to be right. After the upgrade my
18 >> 80-net-name-slot.rules file was neither an empty file nor a symlink to
19 >> /dev/null, but I'm still getting the same old names.
20 >
21 > Do you have a 70-persistent-net.rules file? That would override to give
22 > the old names, which is why the news item tells you to change it
23 >
24 > "If the system still has old network interface renaming rules in
25 > /etc/udev/rules.d, like 70-persistent-net.rules, those will need
26 > to be either modified or removed."
27
28 I don't have any rules except the 80-* one installed by new udev and I still
29 have the old names - and this has been the case now for 3 machines and I
30 upgrade a 4th right now.
31
32 >> > It explains why the file should be renamed and also why you should
33 >> > change the names in the rules to not use ethN.
34 >>
35 >> The only explanation I found was "the old way is now deprecated".
36 >
37 > My bad, I thought that was covered in the news item, but it is left to
38 > one of the linked pages to explain it.
39
40 - Jörg