From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 15:58:58
1 On Wed, 3 Apr 2013 16:38:28 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > > Have you read the news item?
4 >
5 > Yes. I found it rather confusing.
6 >
7 > It refers to a "new format" for rules, but the examples use the exact
8 > same format as the old rules.
9
10 Poor choice of terminology there, the format is the same only the chosen
11 namespace is different.
12
13 > It talks about how 80-net-name-slot.rules needs to be either an empty
14 > file or a synmlink to /dev/null if you want to disable the new naming
15 > scheme -- but that doesn't seem to be right. After the upgrade my
16 > 80-net-name-slot.rules file was neither an empty file nor a symlink to
17 > /dev/null, but I'm still getting the same old names.
18
19 Do you have a 70-persistent-net.rules file? That would override to give
20 the old names, which is why the news item tells you to change it
21
22 "If the system still has old network interface renaming rules in
23 /etc/udev/rules.d, like 70-persistent-net.rules, those will need
24 to be either modified or removed."
25
26 > > It explains why the file should be renamed and also why you should
27 > > change the names in the rules to not use ethN.
28 >
29 > The only explanation I found was "the old way is now deprecated".
30
31 My bad, I thought that was covered in the news item, but it is left to
32 one of the linked pages to explain it.
36 Neil Bothwick
37
38 The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!