From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dd'ing small drive to large one
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 22:08:33
1 I just wrote:
2
3 > My only fear is that the different drive geometry will be a problem, so
4 > Grub does not find its stage2 in /boot, or file systems will unreadable
5 > due to things being specified as head, cylinder and sector, instead of
6 > absolute blocks. I'm pretty confident that there should be no problem,
7 > but if I am wrong, I will be in trouble.
8
9 Now I'm really really sure there will be no problem. What I wrote above
10 about the gemotry is true I think, but all modern drives seem to have
11 255 heads and 63 sectors per track, so they will be compatible.
12
13 Wonko