From: Nils Holland <nhg@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dd'ing small drive to large one
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 23:11:28
1 On 22:19 Mon 31 Jan , Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > I just wrote:
3 >
4 > > My only fear is that the different drive geometry will be a problem, so
5 > > Grub does not find its stage2 in /boot, or file systems will unreadable
6 > > due to things being specified as head, cylinder and sector, instead of
7 > > absolute blocks. I'm pretty confident that there should be no problem,
8 > > but if I am wrong, I will be in trouble.
9 >
10 > Now I'm really really sure there will be no problem. What I wrote above
11 > about the gemotry is true I think, but all modern drives seem to have
12 > 255 heads and 63 sectors per track, so they will be compatible.
13 >
14 > Wonko
15
16 Yep, I would be very surprised if what you're planning to do would
17 result in problems, as I've done several such operations in the past
18 without any issues. I've never had much to do with LVM, but the last
19 time I was doing this sort of thing I dd'd source drive to target
20 drive, resized /home (the last partition I always create) to fill the
21 new, larger disk, and that was that, the machine instantly booted fine.
22
23 Not exactly the same thing you are doing (especially as LVM is
24 involved in your setup), but I can see no major difference between
25 these two cases that looks like trouble.
26
27 Greetings,
28 Nils
32 Nils Holland * Ti Systems, Wunsorf-Luthe (Germany)
33 Powered by GNU/Linux since 1998