From: Dirk Uys <dirkcuys@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Looong delays
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 10:55:15
1 On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > On 12/02/2009 01:22 PM, Dirk Uys wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi
6 >>
7 >> This has been bothering me for some time now. I have a Dell PC at work,
8 >> Intel Core2 Duo with 4gb ram etc. Whenever something does a lot of disk
9 >> access, the PC slows down to a halt? I remember some issue between
10 >> Firefox and the kernel causing long pauses, but I've had several
11 >> different kernel versions running.
12 >> [...]
15 > It's a known problem. I have the same issue. But there is a solution:
16 > start disk I/O heavy tasks with "ionice -c3". For emerge, this can be done
17 > automatically by putting this in your make.conf:
18 >
19 > PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="ionice -c 3 -p \${PID}"
20 >
21 > ionice is in sys-apps/util-linux so it should be installed already.
26 Thanx, I don't have time at the moment to test it, but I will surely try
27 this.
28
29 Regards
30 Dirk