From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Looong delays
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 13:55:44
1 On 12/02/2009 01:22 PM, Dirk Uys wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > This has been bothering me for some time now. I have a Dell PC at work,
5 > Intel Core2 Duo with 4gb ram etc. Whenever something does a lot of disk
6 > access, the PC slows down to a halt? I remember some issue between
7 > Firefox and the kernel causing long pauses, but I've had several
8 > different kernel versions running.
9 >[...]
10
11 It's a known problem. I have the same issue. But there is a solution:
12 start disk I/O heavy tasks with "ionice -c3". For emerge, this can be
13 done automatically by putting this in your make.conf:
14
15 PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="ionice -c 3 -p \${PID}"
16
17 ionice is in sys-apps/util-linux so it should be installed already.