From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Looong delays
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:16:27
1 On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 03:50:30PM +0200, Penguin Lover Nikos Chantziaras squawked:
2 > On 12/02/2009 01:22 PM, Dirk Uys wrote:
3 >> This has been bothering me for some time now. I have a Dell PC at work,
4 >> Intel Core2 Duo with 4gb ram etc. Whenever something does a lot of disk
5 >> access, the PC slows down to a halt? I remember some issue between
6 >> Firefox and the kernel causing long pauses, but I've had several
7 >> different kernel versions running.
8 >> [...]
9 >
10 > It's a known problem. I have the same issue. But there is a solution:
11 > start disk I/O heavy tasks with "ionice -c3". For emerge, this can be done
12 > automatically by putting this in your make.conf:
13 >
14 > PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="ionice -c 3 -p \${PID}"
15 >
16 > ionice is in sys-apps/util-linux so it should be installed already.
17
18 Hum, I had forgotten about this command. It would have come in handy a
19 few days ago. But in the case of FireFox, wouldn't that make it worse?
20
21 Also, what do you mean by known problem? What sort of set-up causes
22 the problem? Is this related at all to the hardware used? Or is this
23 purely in software?
24
25 Cheers,
26
27 W
31 "Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle drugs."
32 -- Lily Tomlin
33 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1090 days, 14:08