From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running Gentoo in VirtualBox
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 20:11:07
1 On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 12:40:43PM -0700, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > I'm using Gentoo as a server (so it runs 24/7) Apache, Asterisk, Hylafax
3 > etc.
4 >
5 > What are my chances to run Gentoo as a VirtualBox?
6 >
7 > Installing Gentoo takes me 2-3 days (basic setup min., I don't do it
8 > every month so I have to go through Gentoo handbook); to configure it
9 > the way I want it takes another week or two.
10
11 Instead of running Gentoo with VirtualBox and backing up the image, I'd
12 recommend storing your configurations in a git repo and using ansible[1]
13 or salt[2] to deploy them when you need to.
14
15 Also, if you ever expand to more than 1 server, these tools make even
16 more sense. I use salt for my personal setup, which is 1 server and 1
17 laptop (I have 2-3 more servers that I need to get set up someday...),
18 but salt is simpler and no less powerful.
19
20 Hope this helps,
21
22 Alec