From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 500 meg / partition (including /boot) *WITHOUT USING LVM*
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 06:23:14
1 Am Montag, 3. September 2007 schrieb ext Walter Dnes:
2
3 > This setup is for a desktop PC that has "a user" not "a bunch of
4 > users". I am *NOT* running a server with a bunch of users. If I was,
5 > I'd be using quotas to prevent the problem described above.
6
7 To solve a problem that you otherwise wouldn't have?
8
9 > > Another one is filesystem corruption, or even human error. Placing
10 > > everything into one single filesystem is a Bad Thing (tm). I.e. you
11 > > can't mount vital parts of the system ro to prevent accidental
12 > > deletion, or keep data or home volumes safely unmounted until they
13 > > are really needed/accessed (by use of the automounter),
14 >
15 > a) I'm running a home desktop PC, not a corporate server. If the
16 > "users" (i.e. me) can't co-ordinate with each other, then I've
17 > got a badly split personality<g>
18
19 You didn't tell before.
20
21 > b) I have the system backed up on a 320 gig external USB drive
22
23 And if your single big partition breaks, you waste a lot of time restoring
24 everything.
25
26 > c) "automount" problems seem to crop up often in this list
27
28 Which ones, with which automounter? I've never seen any with the kernel
29 automounter. OTOH, what isn't mounted can't be corrupted/deleted.
30
31 > d) more partitions means more things to go wrong
32
33 Which ones? Limiting possible damage can't ever be wrong.
34
35 > > you can't use different filesystems for different purposes, etc.
36 >
37 > You mean like ext2fs for a small rarely-written-to partition and
38 > reiserfs for a gigantic partition with lots of files?
39
40 No. As Neil already wrote: The various Linux filesystems shine in different
41 use cases (XFS has good large file performance, reiserfs is storage
42 effective when it comes to small files while its delete performance is
43 poor, etc.).
44
45 Bye...
46
47 Dirk
48 --
49 Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
50 Configuration Manager | Fax: +49 (0)211 47068 111
51 Capgemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@×××××××××.com
52 Wanheimerstraße 68 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com
53 D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
54 GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: www.keyserver.net