From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 500 meg / partition (including /boot) *WITHOUT USING LVM*
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 23:29:13
1 On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 10:00:50PM +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote
2 > Am Sonntag, 2. September 2007 schrieb Neil Bothwick:
3 > >
4 > > One disadvantage of your system that springs immediately to mind is
5 > > that if a user manages to fill /home, it will stop the whole system
6 > > working properly because /var is also full.
7
8 This setup is for a desktop PC that has "a user" not "a bunch of
9 users". I am *NOT* running a server with a bunch of users. If I was,
10 I'd be using quotas to prevent the problem described above.
11
12 > Another one is filesystem corruption, or even human error. Placing
13 > everything into one single filesystem is a Bad Thing (tm). I.e. you
14 > can't mount vital parts of the system ro to prevent accidental
15 > deletion, or keep data or home volumes safely unmounted until they
16 > are really needed/accessed (by use of the automounter),
17
18 a) I'm running a home desktop PC, not a corporate server. If the
19 "users" (i.e. me) can't co-ordinate with each other, then I've
20 got a badly split personality<g>
21 b) I have the system backed up on a 320 gig external USB drive
22 c) "automount" problems seem to crop up often in this list
23 d) more partitions means more things to go wrong
24
25 > you can't use different filesystems for different purposes, etc.
26
27 You mean like ext2fs for a small rarely-written-to partition and
28 reiserfs for a gigantic partition with lots of files?
29
30 > Kids, don't try this at home :-)
31
32 On the contrary, do this at home, but think twice before trying it on
33 a corporate server.
36 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
37 Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?
38 A. I think it would be a good idea.
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list