From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 500 meg / partition (including /boot) *WITHOUT USING LVM*
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 00:14:43
1 Hello Walter Dnes,
2
3 > This setup is for a desktop PC that has "a user" not "a bunch of
4 > users". I am *NOT* running a server with a bunch of users. If I was,
5 > I'd be using quotas to prevent the problem described above.
6
7 It only takes one user to have a runaway process, or even just one that
8 uses more space than you expected, that fills /home. there are good
9 reasons for separating user and system filesystems.
10
11 > d) more partitions means more things to go wrong
12
13 More partitions mean that when things go wrong, the effects are limited.
14
15 Why do you make such a big deal of not using LVM? It achieves everything
16 you want to, and more, without the compromises.
17
18 > > you can't use different filesystems for different purposes, etc.
19 >
20 > You mean like ext2fs for a small rarely-written-to partition and
21 > reiserfs for a gigantic partition with lots of files?
22
23 How about ReiserFS for a general purpose partition or one that has a lot
24 of small files and XFS for a partition that has a small number of very
25 large files (XFS's performance is much better than Reiser's with
26 multi-gigabyte files). How about a separate partition for large temporary
27 files (think video processing and DVD authoring) so it doesn't fill up
28 your home or system directories.
29
30 There are many reasons to want to keep data on a separate filesystem,
31 which LVM achieves but your approach does not permit.
32
33 And what happens with 500GB is no longer enough and you want to add more
34 space. How do you resize your "partitions" to use space on the second
35 disk?
39 Neil Bothwick
40
41 There's more to life than sex, beer and computers.
42 Not a lot more admittedly...