From: Remy Blank <remy.blank@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: 500 meg / partition (including /boot) *WITHOUT USING LVM*
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 08:44:32
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > Why do you make such a big deal of not using LVM? It achieves everything
3 > you want to, and more, without the compromises.
4
5 There's one thing that has prevented me from ever using LVM: the need to
6 have an initrd (or initramfs). From what I remember, this has always
7 required manually copying some utilities like the LVM tools to the
8 initrd (or writing a script that does it), and remembering to do it
9 every time I update one of the tools, and not to forget copying all
10 required libraries as well, and so on.
11
12 OTOH, I have stopped looking at solutions that need an initrd quite some
13 time ago, so things might be easier nowadays. How do you manage your
14 initrd? Do you even need one?
15
16 > And what happens with 500GB is no longer enough and you want to add more
17 > space. How do you resize your "partitions" to use space on the second
18 > disk?
19
20 Even though I have used resize2fs in the past, I have always thought
21 that this tool was kind of a hack. Doesn't the resizing operation carry
22 some risk? And if it goes wrong (e.g. a power outage), do you loose the
23 complete content of the partition?
24
25 And from what I remember, you can't resize a mounted ext3 partition, so
26 you have to boot to a rescue CD, hope that all your LVM tools are there
27 (they normally are, but what version?) and perform the resize operation
28 there.
29
30 But I'd love to be proven wrong on all the points above! This would
31 certainly motivate me to look into LVM seriously this time. It really
32 seems to be the right solution to the various problems I have seen with
33 static partitions.
34
35 -- Remy